Old Nick

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:15:14 GMT, Chuck H wrote:

Never sailed a Jarcat. I love Cats and have sailed a few, but never
ventured into the really wide blue yonder (coastal sailing)

They look blocky. I do feel that the guy has some very sound ideas
about cats. I feel that they would get you there.

However.

You have HAD NO REPLIES. This means the market may well be small for
Jarcats.

Amateur-built boats are always a risk of a loss,
- patricularly if nobody has heard of the marque.
- unless you can build a popular name, then race it and win a
lot, so people buy it. Even then it's a risk.

I have seen a few boats that have been "built" (by owners that had
enough to pay others to "build" then say "I built this", usually) that
have sold at huge profits. But they won races.

Think "Buying a one-year-old" and lay out on a horse instead.

I very much doubt that anybody made money building a James Wharram
Cat. But those ugly *******s saved many a life. I actually huilt a
cat, and while I was doing it, met a guy who had sailed a Wharram
around the world (nearly) and who siad that Wharram's weird ideas
about cats saved his life and the boat when he beached in the surf of
a 7-day storm..........nuff sed.

But the cat was worth crap..........it was Ok, but nobody wanted a
Wharram amateur built. capeesh?

Build it. Sail it. Costys Aud$$33000.

It looks clever and practical. It has not taken the world by storm, or
won a race in some esoteric Class XX.YY If you sell it, you will get
bugger all (an Aussie expression, probably familiar to the designer).

Aud$5,000?).

You may love the boat and NEVER count the financial side of it.

BTDT..... DAMHIKT......sigh

I will appreciate your input regarding the JARCAT CC29 design. Use would
be live-aboard-cruising in the Carribean, Gulf of Mexico and along the
eastern coast of South America. (not interested in ocean crossing) I
would definitely plan to have someone build the hull but perhaps finish
the interior myself, although I'm not certain of the latter. Passages
would be under sail and I have a prejudice toward outboard engines for
power. This is about five years away so I'm not looking for quotes,
just input regarding the design. The jarcat site is
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rhturner/index.html

Thanks,
Chuck