Robert or Karen Swarts

The receptacles and plugs are not unique to marine environments. However,
they are not particularly cheap no matter where you buy one. For a one-off
deal, I'd use a battery tool or jury rig anything that will work. This is OK
while you are nearby, but do not leave such a mess wired in as your standard
shore power adapter.

A GFI will better protect you as the user of the tool attached to the line,
but offers no additional protection to the line or boat. So for a permanent
installation, definitely think about the GFI. Of course the battery tool
eliminates the shock hazard entirely.

BS

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I just returned in shock (as usual) from the marine store. I need to
install some fenders on our marina dock before the boat arrives. The
little dongle to let me plug a regular extension cord into the 30 amp
socket so I can use my electric drill is SIXTY BUCKS! How come a 50 foot
cord with an even larger 30 amp female on the end is only fifty?

Anyway, I just need to use this thing once since the boat will become the
dongle when it gets here.

Is the 30 amp, three prong plug, a marine only item or can I get a plug of
the same kind at Home Depot and just wire it on to an old extension cord?

--

Roger Long