Ookie Wonderslug

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:37:49 -0700, Frank Hagan
fshagan_at_copper.net wrote:

Yoav, the "W" Boat designer, has offered to allow, and even assist,
amature boat builders in creating personal craft for their own use
using his patented design. While you wouldn't have the rights to
produce and sell your design utilizing his technology without some
kind of licensing agreement, you would be able to create a boat for
your own use. You get free design assistance, and he gets to see what
kind of ideas others come up with using the technology.

You can see the molded versions of the W Boat at
http://www.wavewalk.com He feels the mini-catamaran style of paddle
boat, similar to a kayak, would lend itself well to ply construction.

I have offered my forums at messing-about.com as a meeting place for
those interested in taking Yoav up on the offer. Right now, we're
discussing it in our Design Forum at
http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3424 If there's
enough interest I'll form a separate forum for it.

Feel free to take a look and join in if you like. messing-about.com
is free, but we do require registration to post messages (the forums
are moderated). You have to register with an ISP email address, and
not a free email address such as Hotmail, Gmail or YahooMail, or
provide contact information to me separately. Other than that, there
is no obligation in joining in, and everyone is welcome to come and
read the messages without registration.

Frank Hagan
messing-about.com

- - -
http://www.messing-about.com
Resources for the Boat Builder, Renovator and Small Boat Skipper

I was going to build a jon boat that has a hull like your boats. It's
good to see my ideas validated in a way. I built a scale model and
tested it in my pool and a creek and ended up skeptical about it's
benefits. To me it wasn't worth the extra trouble for dubious
results.

I wanted it to ride up on the outriggers at plane so there would be
almost no boat in the water. Instead the rear is still in the water
and the outriggers just dig in deeper causing even more drag. I think
maybe I will build another model that has wider outriggers and see
what that does.

Unfortunately my best testing area was the outflow from draining my
pool. That's 18,000+ gallons that I ain't going to flush down the
creek again this year. I will have to find another place where I can
find high flow water in a small place.