Don W

Default Anybody know anything about the Spirit 28 by North American / Glastron?

This sailboat was made in the 1970's and early 1980's, with the last
few years of production by Glastron. Supposedly they were produced in
Austin TX for a while.

I'm having a hard time finding much of anything about them on Google,
so I'm hoping that someone here used to work for Glastron, or knows the
story on them.

A friend of mine has one and it looks like an interesting boat. It looks
to me like the deck was laid up with carbon fiber mat instead of glass mat.
Also, from what I can see, it looks like the deck is not laminated, but
instead consists of the carbon composite, with a layer of marine ply
underneath. It appears that the plywood was then "upholstered" with a
layer of foam, and then a covering of upholstery vinyl.

The boat I was looking at had the vinyl stripped off exposing the marine
plywood underneath. The plywood had been removed in places exposing the
black roving underneath.

Interesting!

The deck feels quite solid to the foot, even where the plywood has been
removed.

Don W.