David Flew

I agree that it's easy, but not with the proposed method or timeline.
Any of the major epoxy boat building epoxy manufacturers will have
information on how to approach this on their web sites. If removing the
transducers is going to improve the integrity of the hull I'd do it,
otherwise I'd be tempted to leave it alone. but I don't like unnecessary
holes, so I'd probably be doing it ...

- I'd be using a reasonably close fitting wooden plug to provide some
strength and minimise the epoxy work, but others might suggest that the
repair be totally glass
- any filler needs to be a recognised strength product suitable for below
waterline use
- clamp / prop/ stick something to which epoxy won't adhere to the hull
side of the hole, and fill the hole from the inside
- it should be at sufficient strength to remove the "something" overnight,
and cured ready for surface prep / painting a lot quicker than two weeks
Again, see epoxy supplier info.
DF

-
wrote in message
Having repaired windsurfers and built a boat, your question is easy.
Fixing the transducer holes is as easy as patching a hole in your wall
to paint. Get yourself some two part epoxy from Tap Plastics or check
out Jamestown distributers on line.

Prepare the holes by sanding anything loose away and then mix a little
bit of epoxy and add something to make it like a loose puddy. This can
be very fine sawdust, fiberglass dust from sanding your boat or glass
microballoons that you can buy at Tap Plastics or Jamestown or where
ever. You will need about twice as much of the thickening agent as
epoxy. Now push this into the holes and wait for it to dry. Now, sand
and add a second coat to get a smooth even finish. It will take a day
to two days to dry and a two weeks till you can paint.

OR!!! Marine Tex is a great product and you can have the holes fixed
and painted in two days. It will work fine unless you need to repair a
a large area that needs a more structual repair, then your back to the
epoxy and fiberglass cloth.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:20:08 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I have a 1983 Bayliner, fiberglass. In the engine room there are 2
transducers with the wires cut at the top, are not being used. I am
pulling
the boat to paint the bottom and IO. Is it a good idea to pull the
transducers out and plug holes?

If so how much time will it take for me to do it and how to do it?

Where can I get CLEAR information?

Thank you!