n0sPaM

Default Trolling motor = need fuse?

Why is high drain don't get fused? I read the Mini Kota manual, it told me
clearly to clamp the +ve and -ve to the battery, that's it. I can't find any
information on fuse from the manual. If it doesn't need one, I don't want
to spend time to do it....

N.S.

"Greg Moore" wrote in message
.. .
Most high drain items don't get fused, I expect many fires start there. I
had a car engine fire one time caused by a short in the battery to starter
cable, no damage to the battery even on that size, but it pretty well
vaporized a #0 gauge starter cable.

Can never go wrong adding a fuse on a boat. Try to find out how much it
draws under load first. A fuse about 15% higher then full load will

probably
also blow if the motor gets stalled in weeds or rope, saving the motor

too.

Greg Moore

"n0sPaM" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Really... oh.. i think I have to buy a fuse ASAP and install it. That's
scary **** man.

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"n0sPaM" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...
I have a Mini Kota trolling motor 30 thrust, not sure if that thing

comes
with Fuse. Do I have to cut the +ve red cable and add a fuse? How

many
Amp
do I need?

The package comes with 2 terminals +ve and -ve rings which clamp to

the
battery, so the manufacture doesn't assume people to add fuse? Will

the
deep cycle battery blow up when overheat due to short circuit?

N.S.

My particular foot controlled 36 lb thrust MinnKota did not have a
fuse inline when I bought it used. BUT, on advice from several people,
I added a 20 amp inline fuse. I'm glad I did. The cables are long,
going from back of boat to front, and I've blown the fuse twice in
three years. Better the fuse than a fire.