Jeff

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:24:52 -0400, Jeff said:

However, you were quite specific that you were looking for a
Chesapeake Bay cruiser, that could also be used for more extended
coastal cruising. In these situations it is very unlikely that you
would need to heave to. In fact its usually not desirable if you're
closer than 50 miles to land.

Have to disagree there. I often find it useful when single-handing on LI
Sound, particularly when dropping the sails.

Dave

I'm not sure what you mean. The "heaving to" that we're discussing is
a heavy weather technique for sloops where the jib is backed and the
helm is down. A Nonsuch without a jib, and even a Freedom with a
small jib can't really do this.

I don't understand how you do this as you "drop the sails," though I
can imagine that on a normal boat you might want to stall it while you
drop the main. On a Nonsuch, of course, the wishbone with lazy jacks
does a rather good job of gathering the main, and with no other sail,
the engine is likely running (or you're at anchor) when you drop sail.

I know that some singlehander will heave to make lunch, or do some
other chore, but with modern autopilots it isn't really a necessity.