JR North

Did it all. The wooden towed hydro, cards in the rear wheels, tin cans
crushed on the heels, bottle rocket wars, and home-built wooden downhill
racers. I grew up in West Seattle in the '60's, and you could hear the
Allison engines thundering on the lake even over the hill on Delridge
way. Those were real races; exiting to watch. There were many more
heads-up finishes back then; not like nowadays. With the turbine boats,
no 'thunder', and usually a half lap or more between the winner and
runner-up (yawn). I sometimes yearn for the simple, carefree and safe
environment of my youth in Seattle.
JR

wrote:
Quaint tale about kids and hydroplanes.