JG

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news.com...
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:37:50 -0700, "JG"
wrote:

Peter, we have a Y30 in our fleet. I find it to be a great boat... the
engine in the front was a bit strange at first, but it seems to do quite
well in heavy chop.. much less hobby horsing that you typically get. How
long did you have it? Did you have any significant problems? I think the
only thing I don't like about it is that it has a full rig, and that means
no big jibs (we sail in SF bay). Our isn't set up for single-handing also.

I had a later model Yamaha 30 - it had the engine aft, but most others
around here had it forward. I think the yen got too expensive shortly
after the aft-engine model was introduced, as mine was one of the last
ones imported.

Ah... yeh, ours has the engine under the v-berth... long prop shaft, with
the engine intake right next to the shaft. We have a big sign next to the
valve that says watch your fingers.

I had a tall rig, and had a 160% genoa, if i recall correctly. Don't
see why the tall rig would restrict you to small foresails.

It doesn't. It's just that we can't take advantage of the three larger
sails, because we get so much wind on a regular basis here.

My boat had a tiller, and the only modification I made for
single-handing was to rig a "tiller holder", so the tiller would stay
where I put it (for a short time, at least). I also had an autopilot,
which helped somewhat...

Ours is a wheel. I had a "tiller tender" on my Cal 20. Worked great. It gave
me up to about a minute of hands-free.

I had the boat for about 10 years, then decided to become a
stinkpotter, as I had spent too much time sitting outside in the rain.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca