Frank

(Original poster). The Freedom has been on and off of my list. I have
read the pros and cons. They have great interiors and seem to have as
high or higher quality equipment than the Bristols and Sabres. I,
however, do worry about buying an older boat with a carbon fiber

mast.
Admittedly, I only know 'carbon fiber' as used on time trial bikes

(my
carbon fiber disc wheels crack and detach from other materials that

it
is adhered to - and it is $$$). The same may not apply to masts. On

the
other hand, any cyclist will tell you That you cannot beat carbon

fiber
for stability, weight and power transfer, so I imagine these same
features extend to sailing. I have looked at a Freedom 32. I have yet
to find the Freedom owners group that I have heard about. The Sailnet
group is dead.

When Freedom itself supported a board, it was great to go there. I,
too, know of no current Freedom ng.

IMHO, their construction/equipment/etc. is superior to most. TPI builds
great boats.

As for carbonfiber, there have been a coupla stories about mast cracks
on the earliest versions; but during the period of the boats we're
talking about (the later 32s and the 30), they're pretty damned
bulletproof.

If you've only read about 'em and never sailed one, do yourself a favor
and catch a ride on one. After you've sailed one singlehanded,
including flying a chute, you'll scoff when people talk about how easy
other boats are to sail solo. There's no contest.

My opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!

Frank