Tim W

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am working on a 18' Buzzards Bay Sloop of my dad's with varnished
decking. The varnish is completly peeling up, and in a few places the
caulking has come out. I am wondering what kind of options I have for
fixing this. I have stripped off most of the varnish and sanded it, so
that part is fine. I am wondering what I should do about the caulking.
What kind of stuff is out there? It should be black.

The existing caulking looks like Sika Flex or something similar, is
that what I should use? Advice would be apreciated.

It sort of depends on a lot of other issues, but I believe Sika flex is
widely used. If it is a special old boat you might want to use tar and
string. If it is decking over fibreglass then anything which looks right and
stays in place will be okay. If there isn't a cabin beneath then you may not
be too concerned with total watertightness.

BTW caulked decks are not normally varnished. You may not want to
re-varnish.

Tim W