Steve

I have very limited experience of using caulking having only done a
small 3'x4' bit of teak but sikaflex-290 was strongly recommended by
local boat builders. It came in a cartridge and went on very easily and
sands nicely. I did think it was expensive and was glad that I was only
doing a small bit but then it does have a little icon with a spoked
ships wheel on the tube so it was never going to be cheap.

Next year I will be re-doing all the hatches and seats so would be
interested in any experiences you have.

Steve

wrote:

I am working on a 18' Buzzards Bay Sloop of my dad's with varnished
decking. The varnish is completly peeling up, and in a few places the
caulking has come out. I am wondering what kind of options I have for
fixing this. I have stripped off most of the varnish and sanded it, so
that part is fine. I am wondering what I should do about the caulking.
What kind of stuff is out there? It should be black.

The existing caulking looks like Sika Flex or something similar, is
that what I should use? Advice would be apreciated.