Bert Robbins

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:56:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Shortwave Sportfishing writes:

One, I don't want a stranger to contact me - of what possible use
would that be?

That's your situation; Usenet was collegial for about the first 15 years,
and in academic subjects, etc, it was a great way to meet strangers with
similar interests.

True enough, but let's not pretend it was all sweetness and light. I
remember some flame wars from the early '90s that could even curl the
hair of today's participants. :)

My favorite was the book heads all talking about how the Internet wasn't
commercial and shouldn't be commercial. I told this snobs that my company
was leasing a T1 link from a commercial company and we were getting our
Internet connectivity from a commercial company, UUnet, and that the
Internet was going commercial regardless of what they wanted.