Denis Marier

This an addendum to my earlier posting.
I have just been informed by our Yacht club that we have new rules for
boaters going to the US and Canada.

Please check: U.S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION ANNOUNCES ADDITIONAL
SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS FOR PLEASURE BOATERS

Press Release Date: April 21, 2005

Contact: PAO Mike Milne, Customs and Border Patrol

Phone: (206) 553-6944 Ext. 614

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
news
If this is your first time, you need to do some reading.
As a starter I recommend an old favorite "Cruising Guide to the New

England
Coast".
The original copy of this book was compiled from sailors and their real
experiences.
I do not know what type of boat you have and how much fuel you need per
hour.
As a sailboat owner I had to learn to navigate with the tides and

currents.
On the US side one has to navigate around the lobsters pods. Sometimes
lobsters pods are attached in pair with a toggle cable having a lead core.
In good visibility you can see these. In peas soup fog you have to slow
down and have a vigil in front of your boat. After you get to Cutler you
will enter the Grand Manan Channel. Your should enter the Grand Manan
Channel as per your calculation and timing for the Saint John reversing
falls. If you enter the channel with the tide you will benefit from a 2-3
knots current if not you will have to buck it and use more fuel and time.
You should draw your course to stay away from the Lepreau rip tides
Once in Canadian water it is a good practice to inform Fundy Coast Guard
Radio of you position. They in return will validate your position on

their
radar. Then you have to make arrangement with the Canadian Custom. Your
next step is to go through the reversing falls. Your calculations to go
through the falls should be all done and proven.
As for the rest of the information needed for you trip you will have to do
the pertinent reading and get the right information from charts and

sailing
directions.
In peas soup fog Radar alone is not enough. You will need a GPS and dept
sounder.
Some old timer are know to carry spare parts for their power boat.

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
richard wrote:
We are planning to cruise in a 25 ft powerboat from somewhere in
Penobscott Bay to the St John River, NB during the last two weeks of
July. We need some advise on where to stay along the way, and what
to watch for.

First get the charts and cruising guides. Ample study will be rewarded

With a 25 footer you should be very sure to have a radar and electronic
piloting gear. If your 25 footer is an outboard, you should make your

way
only in settled weather with good visibility.

The stretch over to Schoodic is well protected and there are many places
where a small power boat can hide in the event of bad weather or low
visibility. Once beyond Schoodic you are in different conditions and
essentially offshore (or at least exposed coastal), and the conditions

can
become difficult very quickly. However there are many stops that are
frankly quite beautiful, though usually a bit off the direct route to

Grand
Manan Passage.

Beyond the passage, you are in big tidal waters and must act

accordingly.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat