Vinny

Default Water pump - Johnson outboard

This is my first season prepping a boat for the water and
I have a question about maintenance of the water pump.
I've heard that you should change the impeller every 1 to 2 years.
I'm nervous about dropping the lower gear case to get at the pump.
I bought the boat last year, it was already in the water and ran
fine all season. I'm tempted to use the old "if it ain't broke" philosophy
but I'm sure this will get me into trouble at some point.

So two questions:
How often should an outboard water pump be serviced?
How hard is it to service the pump? Again I'm mostly concerned about
dropping the lower gear casing.
(BTW, it's a 1995 130HP Johnson)

Thanks in advance
-VI