krj

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
.. .

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

Capt. NealŪ wrote:

You cannot run current though a battery backwards.

Oh dear the ammeter on my charger must be telling lies then. It says I
can run about 25-50A through the battery backwards.

You are guilty of misreading your ammeter.

One connects an ammeter in series, does one not? (let's not get into
shunts)

What you are reading is current flowing into the battery - not
through the battery.
A battery has no internal circuitry that connects the whole of it
together. It is but
a series of little dead ends where chemical reactions are used to
STORE electrons.

When the battery is fully charged, the current drops to little or
nothing unless
you apply too much current at too high a voltage and then you see the
water becoming electrolyzed into hydrogen and oxygen and the current
increasing.

Never, at any time, does electricity flow THROUGH the internals of a
battery
unless there is a short or something. A serviceable battery stores
electrons. These
go in or out but never through.

CN

Electrons must move within the battery to create the chemical
reaction. Movement of electrons is called "current flow"

Movement of electrons in a chemical reaction is not called current flow.

Movement of electrons *in a circuit* is called current flow.

CN

CN

Now we are talking semantics. So you do admit that there is a movement
of electrons through the medium within a battery.
krj