Paul Oman

Brian Nystrom wrote:

david wrote:
sorry i should have been more specfic its the hull and deck on a 45' steel
boat i primed it with epoxy grey primer 12 months ago now i want to put the
top coat of white polyurathane paint on but first i have to remove the
chalkiness as you say caused by uv. i dont like to sand it as i may sand
through the primer and was hopeing there was something i could wash it with
thanks

most modern epoxies don't chalk much anymore (but they do still yellow and loss
their gloss). Used to be that chalking epoxies were called 'self cleaning' paint
water tanks etc would have the dirty 'chalk' washed off when it rained - that
said, I suppose you could waterjet the surface clean.

I wonder if you'll find the post chalked surface as smooth as the pre chalked
surface?? In not might affect the gloss of your 2 part poly.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers