Lee Yeaton

Default Starting a new newsgroup?

Just a word of friendly advice from a former, long term, moderator.

It ain't that easy to moderate a newsgroup - it's time, time and more
time then add some time on top of the time you've alread spent to the
time - the net result being ****ing all the NG participants off at one
point or another, wading through the complaints about your moderation
efforts and nobody really gives a damn anyway.

It's not easy, you have to have a thick skin, you have to be able to
stick to the rules (which is a lot harder than you might think it is
because there are always going to be three or four NG "lawyers" who
interpret things in ways you would never have thought of) and it's
hard maintain a core group of moderators who all work the same way and
have the same outlook on life, the universe and everything.

In short, it is very, very difficult even with well-intentioned
invididuals who really, really want to make the scheme work well.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but that's the way it works.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

I appreciate the warning but I have moderated before and I am doing it now,
it isn't that bad. I have to read the discussions each day, which I do
anyway, and sort through the bad stuff. The group is pretty well behaved.
Occasionally there are some bad apples, but I just got rid of them.

In the past I moderated on a very large Jeep site and there were a lot of
times that I had to consult other mods, but since I was already reading the
boards it wasn't to bad.

- - - - -
Lee Yeaton
www.thebayguide.com