Stephen Trapani

Rolf wrote:

I own a Newport 33 which has a waterline length of 27 ft. According to
the formula, the theoretical speed for the boat is 6.96 knots.
I have a 16 HP diesel with a 2 bladed impeller, and a maximum engine
RPM of 3300 RPM. Running the engine at 2700 RPM I can readily reach 6.5
knots.
In a good wind I can go to 7 knots. The maximum speed I have ever done
was 11 knots on the GPS surfing down a wave with full sails up on a
very broad reach in about 30 knot wind. Many other boats of the same
design ( relatively light displacemnt, fin keel and spade rudder)
report he same thing.
Racing boats in the around-the world alone race routinely exceeded hull
speed for long periods surfing down waves. The hull speed for a 60 ft
boat is 10.4 knots andthey were achieving more than 20 knots I seem to
remember. So that is the way to go faster than hull speed, find a wave
and then surf down.
Catamarans also go faster than hull speed all the time. So if you put
enough power into the boat in relation to the displacement and wetted
surface, you can exceed the Hull speed.

I think that traditional full keel boat with a high displacement would
have a lot of trouble getting close to Hull speed.
Rolf

Hull speed is the absolute maximum that boat can travel through water.
All your examples have the water moving forward also so the boat is not
exceeding hull speed through the water.

Stephen