Doug Dotson

I have a KAM+ I'm willing to part with. The only thing I've ever used it
for is APRS.

Doug

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote in
:

Larry, what else do you need to transmit or receive the position
reports on 10.151?

A computer and packet TNC (terminal node controller), which is like a
special modem for packet HF radio. To operate on HF, you'd need a TNC
made
for HF, not VHF. On VHF we operate 1200 baud with wide shift. On HF, we
are limited to 300 baud and very narrow shift. The Kantronics KAM '98 is
such a modem:
http://www.kantronics.com/kam98.htm
It is made to directly connect to your NMEA 0183 GPS and will beacon APRS
over your HF ham SSB radio. It operates many modes:

GTORT
PACTOR
AMTOR ARQ, FEC, SELFEC, CCIR 476 & 625
PACKET 300, 1200 or 9600 bps
RTTY
NAVTEX / AMTEX
ASCII
WEFAX
EMWIN
HF e-mail
CW
GPS NMEA-0183 compatible
TELEMETRY
REMOTE CONTROL
REMOTE SYSOP ACCESS
HOST Mode
KISS

many useful for boaters, like NAVTEX, WEFAX, PACTOR, and AMTOR which is
called SITOR on the marine bands. HF email is also included. When
plugged
into the computer, the computer runs a terminal program made to command
the
KAM which automates its use.

If you plan on leaving it to automate HF email delivery to its built-in
email box, get the 512K Memory expansion for it.

It'll run fine just connected directly to your 12V house batteries. It
draws little power, around 150 ma.

Of course....you'll need a GENERAL CLASS HAM LICENSE to use it. This
isn't
an emergency comm.