Glenn Ashmore

Do not paint before glassing. Wash the hull down with water and a
Scotchbrite pad to get any amine blush off. Add a little household ammonia
to cut the wax if you want. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry. Wipe it down
one last time just before starting to glass.

If covering with woven cloth, I prefer to lay it on dry. Makes it easier to
fit corners. Start in the late afternoon as the temperature is dropping so
that air in the pores will not expand and cause bubbles. Pour a little
resin near the center and work outwards towards the edges with a squeegee (a
body putty spreader works fine). Heavier cloth may take a second fill coat
with a spreader to fill the weave after the first coat has started to
stiffen up. After weave is filled or if it is a light weight cloth apply
lay on a smoothing coat with a 1/8" foam roller and tip it off by very
lightly going over it with the tip of a dry brush to get any roller stipple
to lay down.

If you are finishing bright, give it a light sanding with 240 grit and apply
some UV resistant synthetic varnish. Otherwise follow the instructions for
the paint system you are using. I used US Paint High build primer and
Brightsides on the dinghy and it came out darned near perfect. Been outside
down at the pond for 3 years now and still looks like new.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Pagaie" wrote in message
om...
I have finished assembling my S&G Pygmy hull (Arctic Tern). I have now
to fiberglass it.
I have read the manual and also a lots articles and personal building
pages on the web, and I am still confused, fearing the fiberglassing
step.
Some call for painting epoxy prior to fiberglassing, some not.
Some use squeegee and bristle brush and others say rollers are the
best.
So, before doing it I'd like to have a final piece of advice from you
readers, the pros and cons of different fiberglassing approach and
tools.