Steve

Default Dealing with charted "Magnetic Disturbence Areas"

In planning for my trip up the Inside Passage, I'm noting several charted
Magnetic Disturbance Areas. Some are as large as 10 miles across with a
possible disturbance of 7 deg. The largest I note is near/ S.E. of Cape
Northumberland, Duke Is.. This might be encountered while transiting to and
from Ketchikan.

To my knowledge, I have never operated a boat with magnetic compass in such
a disturbance area. I assume that this wouldn't be a problem in clear
weather where visual course keeping might be used. I don't think I would
want to rely on AP set to follow a magnetic heading..

However, would it be appropriate to set a waypoint and allow the GPS steer
through these areas and would this be a safe method at nite or in reduced
visibility..

Opinions welcome.

--
Steve