Doug Dotson

Is APRS runnng on HF? Last I used it, it was only operating
on VHF.

Doug, k3qt

"Doug" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Wellfooled" wrote:

Did a search for my question, but didn't find anything, so if I missed
this, I apologize.

Getting ready to sail a new boat from San Francisco to Newport, OR in
May, and we'd like to let the home folks know every couple of days that
everything is OK (or not). So my question, is there was a way to use
SSB to communicate with a shore based phone line? Something on the
order of using the SSB to call either a phone, or a shore station that
could relay a message, or something.

I've read on this forum how to use the SSB to send/receive email, and
we'll be working that issue, but wondered if there was a simple, legal
way to "phone home".

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are very FEW Public Coast MF/HF Stations left operating along
US Coastal Waters, since AT&T closed KMI, WOO, and WOM a few years back.
I don't think there are ANY Regional MF Stations at all any more.
You could find one of the Private Coast MF/HF Stations that might handle
you message traffic, but very few, if any, of those have Phonepatch
capabilities. Your best bet, is to get a Ham Operator onboard as a crew
member, and have him run your traffic thru the Ham Radio Networks. I
know a few of these type guys, who specifically crew delivery voyages,
just for this purpose.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

I agree about the ham types. I suggest a simple HF Amateur Position
Reporting System (APRS) so exact GPS position reporting is sent out and
any
family/relatives, etc., may access the APRS web site and type in a FindU
command and follow your progress. Do a web search on APRS and you will be
surprised what ham are doing with this technology. They even track search
and rescue dogs equipped with GPS and VHF/UHF flea power transmitters.
73
Doug K7ABX