rhys

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:50:10 -0500, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

.. So instead I go to the cabin up north and try
to go wilderness camping in as many diffirent parks as possible. This year
my camping trips spread out from Canada to New York State.
should not go on particular trips because the weather will be bad, not
getting promoted at work and other reasons. I still went and will continue
to go.

Why not? Frequently "concern" is a well-meaning cloak for fear or even
jealousy. I'm not implying this is the case here, but in many
families, the words "you're being irresponsible" are used to end
debate, when what is really going on is "I am too
gutless/pinched/tired to carpe bloody diem, but not so much that I
don't resent your attempt".

Now last year my Dad died when his appendix ruptured, we did not see that one
coming I tell you.

My wife miscarried and spent several weeks in hospital last year with
the same thing...including her 30th birthday. Insult to sudden and
random injury...that and my mother's recent death (10 years younger
than my father, who is largely lost without her) convinced me that
concerns about wealth and career-building were irrelevant if I wanted
to give my son the experience of going from child to teen cruising
around the world. Besides, it's getting ugly out there. In 20 years,
the idea of liveaboard world cruising might be dashed by climatic or
political upheavals.

My mom plans gone, my Dad gone, and they both could have gone dozens of times
before Wanye's accident.

If you have a chance to enjoy life, and you are not going to hurt anyone
else, try to take it.

Total agreement. Harm none, and do what you will.

I got to watch a loon family grow up on my lake, I climbed mountains, canoed
lakes I never knew existed ten years ago, watch the Northern Lights where the
nearest town was over a hundred kilometers away, watched waterspouts dance on
the same lake that my cabin is on and many, many more things.

My parents have - 'when we retire', only to find that they did not have it
then. And can never have it now.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. I also help with my brother, that is why no sailing.

This was quite moving, and within your constrained circumstances, I
think you are doing the best you can.

If you can't own a sailboat, maybe you can crew on deliveries or race
as crew in a yacht club. Deliveries that aren't trans-atlantic or
longer can be just a one-to-two week commitment in many cases, and you
can keep your seamanship fresh for the time when your situation may
change again.

Best wishes and fair winds,
R.