Jack Erbes

Phil Stanton wrote:

Hi Jack

There doesn't seem to be a way of specifically setting the ST60 to output in
RS-232 serial mode. In addition to the SeaTalk connections on the back of
the instrument there are 2 pairs of connections marked NMEA Out and NMEA In.
In addition there is a setting on the instrument for "NMEA Output ON". It
all sounds terribly logical..
Have contacted RayMarine and wait their opinion.

Sounds like you're using the right connections then. NMEA is RS-232 by
definition. The ST-60 NMEA Out and NMEA In would normally be connected
to the RS-232 RXD and TXD. If you have not tried it, reversing the
connections is worth a try. The connections are made so that the NMEA
output goes to a RS-232 input and the NMEA input comes from an RS-232
output giving you the following:

NMEA Out --- RS-232 RXD
NMEA In --- RS-232 OUT

Various terms are used for the connections, the semantics can be
confusing, and human error can rear its head. So swapping the two leads
has become a routine step in trouble shooting for me.

A final thing. If one of the devices has connections for both a
"Ground" and for "Power (-)", sometimes connecting those two together
will make it work. You can test that with a temporary jumper.

An example of that was the wiring for a cable I made for NMEA serial
connection between my iPAQ 3675 and Magellan 330M. It simply would not
work until the shield on the 330M cable and lead called "Ground" on the
3675 were connected to the negative power lead.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)