Flemming Torp

Hi Casper,

'Funny route' for communication between two Danes being less than 50
kilometers from each other - having another mother tongue ... An example of
'Globalization'?

Thank you for your proposal, Casper. As of now, I'm using XP Home on my
notebook, which does not include the Remote Desktop facility. That is,
however not the main issuse. I was trying to learn from experiences from
other sailors how the system actually worked for them. What software?...,
what about the screen format?..., light conditions?..., etc. During this
'learning proces', I received a lot of useful input, and consequently, I
abandoned the idea of using my PPC as a 'controller', and decided to install
a second monitor to my notebook - viewable from the helm - behind a 'solid
window of glass' in a steel frame mounted in the cockpit beneath the
entrance to the 'downstairs' (kahyt). In this way, I can use all my
different PC applications and control the applications via a wireless mouse,
which is the only item in the system exposed to 'the hostile environment for
electronic equipment' in the cockpit ... I think this investment equals the
cost of upgrading from XP Home til XP Pro and establish the wireless LAN
.... But I'm still anxious to learn how to control the level of light
emission from the monitor - and learn how the visibility of the charts is in
daylight conditions, when the monitor is behind a 'windowglass'. Without
'the window' it is acceptable, but not good ... otherwise it seems to be
working very nice ... And finally, the question of 'energy consumption' -
I'm not sure for how many hours, my batteries can keep a 220V notebook and
monitor, plus 'the rest' running without recharging ...

In order to learn more about your experince using the PPC, I will get back
to you in Danish ... Thank you!

--
Flemming Torp
'Even the worst day sailing is better than the best day working'

"Casper Nielsen" skrev i en meddelelse
. ..
Hi Flemming,

If you have Wireless LAN (WiFi or WLAN) built-in in your new laptop, you
could expand your PocketPC with a Wireless LAN adapter (they exist for
both SDIO and CompactFlash), and use the Windows XP built-in function,
called Remote Desktop (Please note, that I have no idea if this is
supported on the Home edition of Windows XP - Could someone confirm this?)
and connect to the laptop from the PocketPC, using only native Microsoft
software instead of using ie. VNC or the likes of it.

Remote Desktop does the same thing as VNC - it brings your Windows XP to
another computer (pocket pc, desktop or laptop pc, etc.) and it works like
a dream! I'd suggest this solution for you. The Wireless LAN adapter for
your PocketPC is priced around 1.000-1.400,- d.kr. and should be
accessible at most larger tech stores.

I'd be happy to help more, so if you feel for it, drop me a mail. I live
in Greve south of Copenhagen, so the language should not be a big issue
)

//Casper

Flemming Torp skrev:
Thank you Pete, for trying to help me out. What I want is to protect my
new (!) notebook (running WinXP) - control it from my PPC (a windows
version with MS Outlook, Navigation and MS ActiveSync) in the cockpit -
and as my notebook application (DLSK) cannot run on the PPC and as the
application cannot be transferred to the PPC, I would like to use my PPC
as a 'viewer'. An alternative could be an external monitor to the
notebook, and then I could use my cordles mouse controlling the
applikation ... Unfortunately, monitor prices (5 - 10 KU$) for that kind
of application is prohibitive for my wallet and needs. Its a 'nice to
have'-solution, I'm after ...

I have been searching on the vnc site - very informative by the way ...
But I have not been able to see, whether my specific problem - (i.e. PPC
as the 'controller', and I don't have an internet/TCP/IP on my boat, and
the formats of the different screens may also pose problems(?)) is being
solved. I may present to them my specific problem, as I'm not an
IT-expert, and it is hard to read through all the pages of the VNC
manual, that I have already downloaded ... so far, I have not seen a
solution to my problem.