Phil Stanton

Hi Jack

There doesn't seem to be a way of specifically setting the ST60 to output in
RS-232 serial mode. In addition to the SeaTalk connections on the back of
the instrument there are 2 pairs of connections marked NMEA Out and NMEA In.
In addition there is a setting on the instrument for "NMEA Output ON". It
all sounds terribly logical..
Have contacted RayMarine and wait their opinion.

Thanks

Phil

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Phil Stanton wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying. Couldn't check it out till the weekend. Bags
of input from a GPS to the HyperTerminal, but nothing from the ST60
Multi. I think it could be faulty

Thanks for steering me towards the HyperTerminal. I had never heard of
it.

You're welcome. Its been a freebie with Windows as long as I can
remember, great to use as a console for talking to various devices like
switches and routers, good for testing modems, and trouble shooting some
other devices.

As an added note, someone on another group pointed out to me that
Hyperterminal will not always work as I described it. It will work for
receive only connections but if the sending device expects that there will
two way communications it will not or may not work. I'm not that smart
about RS-232 communications and can't further explain that but it sounds
reasonable to me. Nothing else in Windows is guaranteed to always work,
why should that? :)

But it has been a good trouble shooting tool for me in checking out GPS to
PC connections.

Do you know that your ST-60 is communicating in a RS-232 serial mode? If
that is a SeaTalk instrument or in that mode, it won't work because that
is Raymarine's proprietary flavor of RS-232 or something like that.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)