Gould 0738

Default Why some left coasters think they are moderates...

Oh boy! A quote war! :-)

Scotty launched the first salvo with:

There is nothing patriotic about hating your country, or pretending that you
can love your country but despise your government."
Bill Clinton
Speaking at Michigan State University

Gould courageously fired back with:

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the
president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he
himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he
efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the
exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by
the country."

Theodore Roosevelt

******

Now, Scotty, if you are willing to state "I think Bill Clinton is a wiser man
than Teddy Roosevelt"- I guess your quote wins. :-)

Here's the article where I found the quote:

------

------
Party loyalty is un-American

------

© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

Our first president, George Washington, warned us about the dangers of putting
any political party above the general interests of the country. It would do
well for Americans today to relearn this basic lesson. Our loyalty must first
and foremost be to the fundamental principles upon which our nation was built,
not to the finite interests of political partisanship.

It is a fatal mistake to assume that any political party is the harbinger of
patriotism. Theodore Roosevelt said, "Patriotism means to stand by the country.
It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save
exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is
patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is
unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or
otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country."

My loyalty to a party or politician must be measured by his loyalty to the
fundamental principles on which America was founded. When I remain loyal to a
politician or party after they demonstrate an unwillingness to be faithful to
those immutable principles I am guilty of disloyalty to my country.

Sadly, too many people today are willing to turn their backs on truth for the
sake of remaining loyal to the party. Democrats who railed for justice when
Richard Nixon was president looked the other way or even defended crimes
committed by Bill Clinton. Republicans who railed against Bill Clinton refuse
to examine the character, conduct and positions of G. W. Bush.............
(remainder snipped)

(Article written by Dr. Chuck Baldwin)