Doug Kanter

Default Cuban Boating

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

No fruit or vegetables for you, Dave, for an entire year. Or, you can

openly
admit your understanding that of all the produce picked HERE IN THIS
COUNTRY, 80% of the labor is done by illegals and YOU LIKE EATING THE
RESULTS.

That's a poor excuse for breaking the law, and certainly an even poorer
justification for it.

Dave

Dave- you must have missed the post by (I think) Chuck Gould, where he
described how the government is complicite in allowing illegals to
harvest time-sensitive crops, because noone else is willing to work
for slave wages, but corporate farms need the labor.

Yea so? So are you just as complicit in allowing a clearly illegal
practice to continue?

You are way too hung up on the word "illegal". This segment of farm labor is
illegal because their presence used to take jobs from citizens who were
willing to work for minimum wage. Nowadays, people are more likely to weigh
the wage against the work being done. They'll accept minimum wage for easy
retail work, but not for bending over 400 times a day in a hot field and
swinging a razor sharp knife in the vicinity of their ankles (using cabbage
picking as an example). Laborers come from places like Mexico because
minimum wage here is far better than the $8 a WEEK they could make back
home. I defy you to find enough American citizens willing to take their
places.

If the pool of illegal labor were to go away, what would happen? I'll
tell you. Either they growers would develop better technology to replace
human labor with machines...

You are obviously not a gardener. Some crops are too delicate for
"technology". Corn harvesting pretty much reached the pinnacle of
"technology" fifty years ago, as did wheat and other grains. Other crops
will always require human hands, especially those which end up in the
produce department rather than in cans or frozen. Only human hands can
assure that these crops are presentable to the customer.

or they would (by the force of supply and
demand), have to raise their labor rates, until they were able to hire
local people. Yes, that would cause the prices to rise, but that's not
the germaine issue.

It's not??? Are you ready to pay 3 times more for your food? What portion of
your budget goes for food? Multiply by 3 and tell me how quickly you'd be in
your boss' office looking for a massive raise, along with all of your
coworkers.

You are so ideologically constipated that you cannot see.

Really? I see things very clearly. Maybe because I don't spend my time
making excuses and exeptions for things that should not be.

Yes you do, Dave. You're the guy who told me it's not worth your trouble to
deal with your town council to get things changed. You gave me a laundry
list of excuses why participating in local decisions rarely worked.