Skip Gundlach

Hi, David, and group(s),

If I understand your intentions, you plan to install a high gain mast top
802.11g antenna and locate the bridge or access point down below. You

No...

I'm thinking in terms of mounting the bridge in a NEMA enclosure, feeding it
voltage from below, and using it to feed a 1' or less coax attached to the
antenna.

( As much as might be achieved, I'm even, now, considering doing
up-the-mast
with a cat5 (or any other 12V) feed to a bridge in a waterproof (NEMA)
box,
thence to an external antenna

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/c...1401cfa1d316d4

and

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/c...1401cfa1d316d4
an 8.5 dB gain antenna atop the mast just above the box.
)

Just where to mount the antenna is still up in the air (so to speak), as the
specs call for a 2" mast; I'd originally thought to put it on the NEMA box
top, keeping the coax inside, too.

However, it may be that a flush mount base isn't possible, in which case I'd
have to consider other means. A 2" pole on the side of the mast isn't an
attractive thought, let alone an attractive sight!

therefore will be forced to use a coax cable at least 60 feet in length

and
will therefore experience significant signal losses. These cable losses

Yah, I know, which is why I don't want to do that...

The thought (maybe as unattainable as perpetual motion) was to provide much
greater reception on the boat, and have a repeater as a side benefit. OTOH,
still researching, thus not knowing the answer, if my laptop can't see the
up-the-mast antenna/repeater from the deck or below, I'm still stuck with
getting a signal below, somehow.

However, with all that gain, perhaps the narrow broadcast width would be
moot and my built-in wifi would pick it up. More research is required...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats. In or
out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether
you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or
whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always
something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much
better not."