Doug Dotson

I was a caver for over 20 years. Fellow of the NSS. Got married in my
caving boots with 50 of my muddiest friends. We probably know each
other at least indirectly. Drop me a private email.

Doug (NSS 16196)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll admit, my post says little about cruising but also a lot. The
original post got me all maudlin about my dead friends and the crazy
trips we all went on. Oddly, my friend who was the ultimate 'I did it
my way" person thought he was a failure. The rest of us cavers thought
he was a genius. His family thought he was the blacksheep pervert of
the family and prefferred to pretend his bizarre life did not exist.
They had no concept of his life so when 30 cavers showed up at the
church for his funeral dressed in muddy boots, caving helmets and muddy
coveralls, they didnt get it.
Since I am unable to do serious caving anymore( Age you know, I now get
dehydrated in hot humid places, getting old isnt for wimps) I try to
get some of the same feelings of discovery from being on the water. It
isnt quite the same but being waaaaay out at night has a little of the
feeling of an alternative universe.
It seems, the message is not to delay doing the things you really want
to do. For me, the hard part is deciding which is the most
interesting.
Capt. NealŪ wrote:
"Jim," wrote in message

Doug Dotson wrote:

What does this have to do with boating?

It says to me do it NOW! Live for the moment! Who knows what

next
season will bring.

There is one thing FOR CERTAIN next season will bring - another year

of
Peggie Hall's boring sewage posts. That, alone, is reason enough to

go cruising
NOW.

CN

"marley" wrote in message
news
Today I bumped into a casual acquaintance that I haven't seen

since fall
(winter you know, everybody hides!).

He looked like pure ****.

Skin and bones, and one side of his face is horribly sunken

in...skeletal
in appearance. It was absolutely shocking considering that he

always
seemed to be on the portly side. Last time I saw him (fall) he was

about
200 lbs. I am guessing maybe 120 now...tops.

Three months ago he was given three months.

This all happened since Novemeber 04 when I last saw him!

He was quite happy to "still be here" in spite of what was

forecast.

Talk about a wake up call! Man that scares me FAR more than giving

up the
income stream and sailing away ever could!

Just felt like sharing this... in the faint hope that it would

somehow
make me feel better. It didn't.

**** that was hard to deal with!

In truth I don't much like the guy, but I sure to feel for him.

Son of a bitch! I am speechless.