Jim Donohue

"JimH" wrote in message
So what have you dropped in the water from your boat or dock?

For me....tools, hardware, a boat brush, a fishing rod/reel, cans of wax
and a set of keys.. I was successful retrieving most of the metal items
(if they were worth it) using a large magnet the marina office had, a
large fish net with extension pole (retrieved the keys with that) or a
boat hook.

Never lost my cell phone or expensive sunglasses, although I did put a
pair of fairly decent sunglasses on the hardtop of a friends boat and
forgot they were there until we arrived at his dock. Those glasses were
never to be seen again.

How about you? ;-)

BTW: I admit this is fluff, but who the hell cares....it is boating
related and not OT....eh?

Let me see...well to start me...four times I think. Recovered every time.
Once well dressed in front of 100 people.

My dog...has hit the drink at least 7 or 8 times. 3 times when it was a
pain. Came up out of the cockpit to bark someone up and would trip himself
on the last step...splash. Also could not judge distance to the dock coming
in for the morning walk Had an 8 foot range on a good day but would try
from 15. Dog was also recovered every time.

Cell phone 40 miles off the coast of Oregon while moving a boat to San
Francisco.

Nice watch...Caught it on a cabin fitting and it flipped right off into the
drink.

Wallet..fell out docking a dinghy in Avalon on Catalina. Returned by a
tourist who found it floating in the surf.

Wife (than SO) Slipped climbing on board. Challenging rescue.

Content of wife's purse. When she went into the drink so did everything in
her purse. Got all the floaters quick. Dove the next morning and recovered
glasses and some cosmetics including some she swore not hers. Recovered
1941 50 calibre round from the muck.

Shopping carts filled with supplies twice. Once in Newport Harbor..Once in
Long Beach. Long Beach involved really hard effort to recover package of
clams that were attempting to escape during the confusion. Caught them 50
yards down channel barely floating.

Eyeglass lense. Got whacked by wife's elbow. Lens popped out and went into
drink. Saw it go and dived after it. Caught it at about 6 or 7 feet.

Boat hooks, Lost at least two and recovered four or five.

Dish clothes, swim suits, shoes, swimming masks and other miscellaneous
items. Use to dive under the boat before leaving Catalina. Found something
of ours half the time. Actually better it sunk. Floating stuff would get
away.

Was in a party that lost 5 or 6 paving blocks into the surf on Catalina.
Dove and recovered them. It takes a lot of doing to get paving blocks to an
isolated cove on Catalina.

Also lost three spare airs over the years...but that was while diving not
from the boat.

Jim Donohue