Ryk

On 7 Apr 2005 06:32:48 -0700, wrote:

My annoyance with that silly Mark Twain quote prompts this post.

Although casting off everyday cares to go cruising sounds ideal to many
people, I have to wonder about people aspire to it with intense zeal.
I wonder if they have so little to offer to humanity that they would
abandon society for such a narcissistic goal. If you spend all of your
time cruising, you essentially give up making any difference to the
rest of humanity.

Rightly or wrongly, a remarkable number of people lead their lives
entirely on land without making any more difference to the rest of
humanity than a life long cruiser.

Aspiring to do what one wants, while independently providing for one's
needs, and succeeding in that aspiration may not constitute greatness,
but I wouldn't run anybody down for it.

Ryk