I admit that some people who cruise can benefit others by their
example, this is part of the reason why I consider my friend Jack to be
a successful cruiser.
I also agree that most people do not have the luxury of considering if
their lives have been a "contribution". However, many people do
consider their kids to be a legacy (a contribution of sorts) and this
may be the best they can do. Believing that you can make a
"contribution" may be self indulgent but it seems to be a positive
form. I still think a person should try to make a positive impact
before they simply drop out.
Do you think the work you did before you retired was worthless? If so,
maybe you should consider repaying those who paid you. Didn't there
used to be a saying during WW2 (well before my time) "They also serve
who stand and wait".
Reasons why I consider my friend Jack to be successful.

1. He got himself out of his previous dependent lifestyle.
2. This in itself is an inspiration.
3. All the travel he did with limited resources shows the rest of us
what can be done (an inspiration).
4. His carvings were not fakes but were recognized as being made by
him. These were serious works of art that stopped me in my tracks in
admiration.

I do admire home craft people just as I admire most small business
people.