Armond Perretta

Although casting off everyday cares to go cruising sounds ideal to
many people, I have to wonder about people aspire to it with
intense zeal. I wonder if they have so little to offer to humanity
that they would abandon society for such a narcissistic goal. If
you spend all of your time cruising, you essentially give up making
any difference to the rest of humanity ...

I think you are going to have more luck wrestling with this issue if you
base your research on the experiences people who _are_ (or who have, for a
considerable period of time, been) cruising, rather than people who merely
aspire to it. Further, by "cruising" I don't necessarily mean wandering
from mud flat to mud flat in the Panhandle.

... I have no problem with
people who retire and then go cruising, they have already made
their contribution ...

Frankly there are so many untested assumptions in this statement that it's
difficult to formulate a cogent response. I personally know quite a few who
retired "contribution-free," as it were.

Or were you referring primarily to Social Security contributions?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat