Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:39:32 -0700, "Brian D"
wrote:

Why is there breakers and big waves if the water is 4 to 5 fathoms deep?
Normally, breakers from normal (or even large) swells don't roll over until
the water is closer to 20' deep or so. The way the water was rushing out in
front of the breaker in the sequence of photos, it looked very shallow. Any
clue why this is happening in that spot?

Probably because it is a tide rip as much as it is a breaker. I have
seen very disturbing looking breakers in 60 feet of water near Machias
Seal Island, where the tide rushing in and out of the Bay of Fundy.

After double-checking location, we sailed right through them (in a
J35, not a 22-footer). It was no problem--actually quite entertaining.

It has never, even fleetingly, occured to me to go south of that tower
on the GG bridge, however.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt