Brian Whatcott

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:02:39 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:24:46 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:12:53 -0400, DSK wrote:

Michael wrote:
Think "balanced" vs "unbalanced" rudders....power steering vs manual.

The balance area of a rudder reduces the perceived load on the helm, but
does *not* reduce the load on the rudder post.
///
Fresh Breezes-- Doug King

Hmmm...seems to me that the steering torque on a rudder can be
reduced, zeroed or reversed - depending on the balance area fraction
selected. The rule of thumb, I seem to recall is 25% area forward for
minimal torque - more than that and the torque is reversed, giving
unpleasant positive feedback effect.

Sure, but the topic was rudder bearings. They don't get loade by
torque, but by radial loads from lift generated by the rudder.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Yes, you're right of course. And this was Doug's point, I think.

Brian W Altus, OK