Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:50:20 GMT, (Michael) wrote:

Bushings, bearings, tomatoes, tom-ah-tows... the question is what does
the boat you want have, and what shape are they in. Many boats have
rather fancy double-race needle bearings for the lower rudder post
"bushing." The loads here can be tremendous when sailing hard.

Think "balanced" vs "unbalanced" rudders....power steering vs manual.

I am not aware of any production boat that was built with the bearings
you suggest. I though such beasts do exist for rudders..

J35s came with Harken rudder bearings. They eventually corroded and
Harken doesn't make them any more AFIK.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"I'll tell you, being in prison isn't, isn't all that, uh, that it's cracked up to be." RM Nixon