Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:45:11 +0100, "Phil Stanton"
wrote:

Well sensible people may have the privilege of sailing in deeper waters than
here on the East Coast. At low water, there is frequently about 1.5m and
most of us, reluctantly have to scrape along with 0.1m under the keel if we
are lucky.

Interesting theory, but I'm on Florida's Gulf coast. Water is pretty
skinny here. Anything over 4 feet is considered deep draft.

Added to that there are a number of us who are always sailing on
each others boats, and it is nice to know if the echo sounder says 0.2m,
regardless of which boat you are on, that is what you have got under you.

And having your sounder read negative numbers helps this how? Since
this is a problem, maybe you should just stencil your draft on your
bulkheads in fluorescent chartreuse numbers to help each other out.
:-)

I take your point about anchoring, but I guess we drop the anchor once for
every 20 or 30 times we are scraping the bottom.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Phil

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/