DSK

The balance area of a rudder reduces the perceived load on the helm, but
does *not* reduce the load on the rudder post.

Michael wrote:
I think it would be more accurate to say that the force by the
helmsman requires less physical effort with a balanced rudder.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

I can not think of anything that would reduce the load on a rudder
post....

Going very slowly!

I am not aware of any production boat that was built with the bearings
you suggest. I though such beasts do exist for rudders..

Probably not in the 30' size range.

Fancy racing boats have top-notch rudder post bearings, and of course
bigger boats have to have bearings appropriate to the load... if they're
well designed of course...

It's a worthwhile upgrade to a boat that will spend a lot of time
sailing hard on autopilot.

Humm.... I think I would rather have a bushing, I dont think a bearing
in a water environment would last or be as reliable as a bushing...

???
There's this new hi-tech miracle product called "grease." Of course it's
assumed that the bearing will get some maintenance, and will eventually
have to be replaced. In well-designed boats this is provided for.

Actually modern miracle hi-tech stuff has made it very easy to re-work
rudder post bearings, or bushings if you prefer. After all a bushing in
this case is the same thing as a bearing. It's not even necessary to
pull the rudder & post out, just polish & wax it then pour in the
miracle goop.

As far as I am concerned a saildrive unit is essentially an outboard
with more negatives.

Like what? The newer saildrives are great. Less trouble, more efficient,
and neater installation, than a conventional inboard.... you can put
both the engine weight and the prop in more advantageous locations.

For the lower unit the boat must be dry docked to service it,

So? That's true of any inboard. With a conventional drive you have a
cutlass bearing which can't be serviced unless the boat is pulled.
Again, it's assumed that these things are going to get proper attention
during the life of the boat.

... where a
OB on a laz maybe pulled at any time. COST...

And if you get a trailerable boat, you can haul it out even cheaper,
then take it home with you. Very inexpensive (if you already have a
place to keep it, that is).

Is a saildrive generally prefered over a conventional IB? I dont
think so, why is that?

Depends on who you're talking to. The saildrive has a lot of advantages
but many people still don't like them. It's a matter of personal taste
to some degree.

check out this excellent pictoral of a OB in a laz as well as general
project boat:
http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...9&page=1&pp=15

I think this guy is making a few mistakes. For example, removing the
shelves below the V-berth... those were almost certainly there as
structural members. The cockpit drains look nice though.

It's funny you should point to a Pearson Ariel as an example of how
wonderful OB wells are. I sailed on one of these for years (back when
they were much newer than they are now) and it is one of the boats that
formed my current opinion (generally unfavorable) of OB wells. It's not
the worst of the bunch, though.

Thanks for the links, interesting reading & pictures.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King