Gogarty

In article et,
says...

I looked at a boat recently that had a Lectra/San head and I am
wondering about the pros and cons it. My rudimentary investigation has
found that it requires quite a bit of power for each flush and would
still require a holding tank for certain situations. I would prefer a
boat with simple system allowing me to reduce the size/number/cost of
batteries and am wondering if it is worth it. I'm sure the seller
thinks it adds value to the boat but I don't think I want it (nor do I
want to pay for it). What are the major advantages of it?

The Lecteasan is a good gadget, though the proliferation of no discharge
zones into the open sea increasingly threatens it. When it is operating
properly the sewage is treated to almost sterile levels and causes no harm
whatever to the environment. When flushed, it runs for two minutes and
draws 50 amps or so. Over a day. as Peggy points out, this is negligible.
The freedom from carrying around twenty or thirty gallons of raw sewage,
which will stink, is considerable, not to mention freedom from looking for
pump out stations.

We have two heads. A previous owner on the Chesapeake ripped out both
holding tanks and installed the Lectrasan on one and nothing on the other.
Clearly illegal. We installed a tiny five-gallon holding tank on one head.
This tank is custom fitted to the outside of the toilet which it
surrounds. It can be plumbed like any holding tank with all the valves and
pumps or it can be used as a carry ashore container. In any case, we were
boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard and the arrangement passed
muster. We have a certificate telling us so.

Keep the Lectrasan and get a bucket for no discharge areas.