Cam

Thanks Peggie,
Based on that information it looks like a handy unit to have. Anything
specific I need to look for while inspecting it? Actually, how would I
inspect it? Since the boat batteries are probably dead is there any
manual inspection for it. It doesn't appear that the previous owner has
cared for the boat to well including, probably, this unit.

How is company support? I'm assuming that this specific unit is out of
warranty. Thinking of that are there specific models that need to be
looked for/avoided? How would I identify those?

Thanks again.

Peggie Hall wrote:
Cam wrote:

I looked at a boat recently that had a Lectra/San head...

The Lectra/San is not a head (toilet)...it's a separate device into
which the toilet--any toilet--flushes where waste is treated and
discharged overboard legally.

...and I am wondering about the pros and cons it. My rudimentary
investigation has found that it requires quite a bit of power for each
flush...

It's consumption of 1.7 AH/flush looks a bit scary, but in fact,
translates to only 17 AH/day for a cruising couple--less than that if
you use the lee rail when possible--well within the resources of any
boat that isn't underpowered.

...and would still require a holding tank for certain situations.

But a much smaller tank than you need for full time use...one that you'd
only use if/when you visit a "no discharge" harbor, which are VERY few
and far between except in New England, the FL Keys and SoCal. Where are
you? Where do you plan to cruise

What are the major advantages of it?

Can be used with any toilet...requires no chemicals, requires no
maintenance except for an occasional cleaning (which doesn't even
require taking it apart, just a solution of muriatic acid down the
toilet according to directions)...none of the maintenance problems
associated with holding tanks to prevent odor, deal with sludge, keeping
the vent clear, etc. no need to deal with finding pumpout facilities or
getting 3 miles offshore. Just flush and forget it. Highly reliable and
durable...it's been on the market 30 years, some of the original units
are still in service.

All the info and specs are he
http://www.raritaneng.com/products/w...lectrasan.html

I'll be glad to answer any questions after you've read it all.