Michael

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:24:46 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:12:53 -0400, DSK wrote:

Michael wrote:
Think "balanced" vs "unbalanced" rudders....power steering vs manual.

The balance area of a rudder reduces the perceived load on the helm, but
does *not* reduce the load on the rudder post.
///
Fresh Breezes-- Doug King

Hmmm...seems to me that the steering torque on a rudder can be
reduced, zeroed or reversed - depending on the balance area fraction
selected. The rule of thumb, I seem to recall is 25% area forward for
minimal torque - more than that and the torque is reversed, giving
unpleasant positive feedback effect.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

On second thought does a balanced rudder put less force on the rudder
post or just on the tiller?

Wild guess, probably both?