BCITORGB

Scott asserts:
=============
Not in any sane educational system. In any place where there are *real*
teachers; qualified, dedicated and understanding, even "difficult"
children
are not ejected from the system merely because they have emotional or
cognitive difficulties to overcome. Teaching difficult, damaged
students is
hard, but it's immensely rewarding too when a child who was about to be
given up as lost suddenly finds his or her way out of the darkness,
with the
help of a TEACHER.
============

I don't necessarily disagree. However, from the perspective of a
teacher with 30 kids in her class, the immediate responsibility is to
the majority. That is, if one particular student is disrupting the
learning environment for 29 others, the "one" student needs to be
isolated. Quite likely, this student requires special attention (both
counselling and teaching) that cannot normally be given in a
classroom.

You've made the case for special treatment for gifted students. I don't
disagree. I also make the case for special treatment for children with
cognitive difficulties.

frtzw906