Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:57:38 -0400, "SoFarrell"
wrote:

For live bait fishing, what's your pref? Open or spinning reels? Why?

That's a good question.

Open reels are pretty versatile. Back in the day, my Dad taught me to
use an open reel while chucking eels at stripers off Devreaux Beach.
They require a lot of "educated thumb". They are easier to cast using
dacron line rather than mono. For big game, open reels are best with
mono.

Drop dropping, jigging or chop casting (sometimes called flipping)
open reels are the best. Thumb control isn't as important as your
target is - well, open water. Can't really mess that up. Open reels
are also better for large baits.

The problem with an open reel is retrieving the line. Again, an
educated thumb is your best friend, but the technique is easily
learned. It you have something big and heavy on the line, then that
can present some different problems, but again, once you get used to
it, it's pretty simple.

As to spinning reels, I use them when searching around for fish if I'm
close inshore. I occasionally will use a large spinning reel if I'm
looking for stripers or bluefish in deeper water or along a ridge line
like the SW Ledge off Block Island. In short, for casting in salt, I
use spinning rigs.

In fresh water, it just depends on the presentation, time and place. I
normally carry four bait casting rigs and four spinning rigs in
various line weights, although all the rods are 6 1/2 foot, MH rods
with a fast taper.

I do have a couple of ultra light spinning rods, but that's mostly for
the kids and for panfish when I'm bored.

Now, let's discuss line. :)

Later,

Tom