SoFarrell

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Butch Davis wrote:
Sorta depends upon the target species. Open reel is much less prone to
have line problems for most. It takes a lot of skill/experience to
handle a bait caster well, IMO. I always take both. Usually use both.
Open reel is often better if you want to simply drop a live bait over and
just let it swim. A bull minnow can strip a lot of line off and cover a
lot of territory with an open reel rig. I often get much longer casts
with a bait caster. That can be useful in some situations. I load my
bait caster with heavier line in case I get into a mess of bull Reds
(rare but terrific fun) or hook up with a Jack or other big fish. I like
both but tend to favor a bait caster as that was all there was when I was
a lad and began fishing with my father.

Butch
"SoFarrell" wrote in message
news:1112533058.e03e077ee05b93a2e6a153ff6cdd29f7@t eranews...

For live bait fishing, what's your pref? Open or spinning reels? Why?

I use both for inshore and close offshore fishing. Penn spinning reels and
a couple of Shimano 251 open reels. For trolling these days, I use Shimano
charter specials, because I prefer the lever drag. I've got em all spooled
up with the proper weights of Berkley Fireline. When I have "rarely fish"
guests aboard, they prefer the spinning reels.

I use the shimano 250 You are left handed!