Flying Tadpole

Scotty wrote:
"Flying Tadpole" wrote ...

Only one of those is essential.

I should have wrote, ''essential to me''?

That would have been a different topic.

A tiller lock or loop will keep
you going in most directions without having to stand to the
tiller.

Won't work on a real sailboat with a wheel.

OK. I'll accept that. (I also hate wheels).

The autopilot will break down when you most need it (and
besides, as a single hander, you're supposed to be on watch the
whole time).

What, you never go potty? never eat while sailing?

You forgot, "never sleep". One of the difficulties of
singlehanding for any length of time is how one eats, excretes
and rests while underway, AT THE SAME TIME keeping the continuous
lookout required by colregs

While we're at it, get rid of the standing rigging other than for
a bit of additional support when in really rough weather. Set the
masts up so they can easily be lowered, in a seaway, by one
person, to get at halyard jams etc without using a bosun's chair
or climbing a pitching/rolling mast. And so on.

That would be nice. Someone should build a nice boat with those
features.

As always, depends on the aesthetic defining "nice". The
question was what "easy to handle " meant, not nice...
--
Flying Tadpole

SquareBoats! http://ace.net.au/schooner.sbhome.htm
http://music.download.com/timfatchen