Flying Tadpole

Only one of those is essential. A tiller lock or loop will keep
you going in most directions without having to stand to the
tiller. The autopilot will break down when you most need it (and
besides, as a single hander, you're supposed to be on watch the
whole time). You don't _have_ to sail a yacht with a rig using a
jib at all. (RF can jam). With an "easy to handle" design,
winches become an enjoyable luxury but not a necessity, so ST
winches go into the non-essential classes too!

While we're at it, get rid of the standing rigging other than for
a bit of additional support when in really rough weather. Set the
masts up so they can easily be lowered, in a seaway, by one
person, to get at halyard jams etc without using a bosun's chair
or climbing a pitching/rolling mast. And so on.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/
http://music.download.com/timfatchen

Scotty wrote:
Essential add-ons for single handing; Auto pilot, RF jib, halyards
led aft, ST winches.

"DSK" wrote

What makes a boat "easy to handle"? Size? A powerful windlass &

roller

furling? Self-tailing winches? Halyards led aft? I have a number of
things rooted in the basic design of a boat, and which cannot be

added on.