William R. Watt

I was out paddling a new plywood box this week as soon as the ice was off
the pond. I like the really cheap virola underlayment from Home Depot for
it's light weigth and flexibility and use if for boatbuilding but don't
recommend it. After paddling around in the pond for an hour or so I
noticed a crack in the thin face ply on the bottom about 4 ft long. At
home I poked a blade into the crack and found it was a longitudinal seam
between two sheets of veneer. Looks like the face veneers were not edge
glued so I scraped out the seam and after leaving it to dry for a day
filled it with epoxy mixed with home made wood flour.

Virola is not from China. It's from Brazil.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm