Tinkerntom

BCITORGB wrote:
Tink, I'm pleased to report the contraption is "together" and it

bears
my signatu "workmanship like crap". However, I think, with a few
modifications, it'll work just fine.

For example, the U-bolts to attach to the existing factory r-rack:

well
they worked in theory (story of my life), but when I got it up on the
roof it looked like Plan B, with slightly different sized U-bolts,
would have to be activated.

I've got two 7.5' longitudinal 2x4's with two 2x6 cross pieces (with
hull curvature cut into them) plus one 2x3 (hey, that's what I had
lying around the back 40) cross piece right at the front of the
contraption.

I'm quite pleased with my cut-out bits as there's nary a sliver of
light (OK, OK, a sliver or two) between the hull and the 2x6 cross
pieces. Once I glue some foam to that, I think it'll be awesome.

The middle cross piece is directly under the middle bulwark and the

aft
cross piece is about 2" from the aft bulwark (given the configuration
of the factory r-rack, that's the best I could do).

The forward cross piece (2x3) is about 2.5' in front of the mid one,
and provides some nice extra support so that I don't have the feeling
that the front will be flopping about (there'll still be about 6' out
front of that which is unsupported).

Once I got it together, I was pleased to note that it really wasn't
that heavy and could easily be popped on to the roof.

A few things to do yet: gotta get some brackets to lend stability to
the frame, glue on the foam, drill some holes for ropes.... finito!

Although I have a feeling that there'll be no end to this.

Wilf

One of my favorite quotes,

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -Hannibal Hayes of the A-Team.

Sounds pretty good, you spent a little time, a little money, used some
old wood 2x's that were lying around, drilled a little, probably
expleted a little, and you feel better about life in general. Now you
are almost ready to go kayaking in style. Well maybe not in style, but
we won't tell anyone else! TnT